THE USER INTERFACE (SCREENS)
Please note of the new overflow menu located on the upper right portion of the screen for devices with screen sizes that does not fit all the menus.
The Home Screen
1 - The Map Screen Selection Menu
1.1 Map Screen
- is basically the area wherein the map is displayed
There are two variations of the compass available within BackCountry Navigator (*a new NIGHT MODE Option is also available)
ORIENTEERING COMPASS (Magnetic Bearings) BEARING COMPASS
1.3 Stat Screen
- Displays your current Trip's data
1.4 Trip Data Base
- Will list the current Trip Database being used. Tapping on this will open up the Trip Data Menu
1.5 List Screen
- this lists your current Waypoints and Tracks for the currently used Trip Database (displayed below) *by default displays the 40 closest waypoints - which you can change by choosing the "Sort" option.
1.6 Map Layer Screen
- Tapping on this will open the Map Layers Menu
1.7 Settings Screen
- Opens up the Settings Menu (which has a separate manual/discussion)
1.8 - Help Screen
- Opens up the Help pop-up menu with inline guides, Newsletter Subscription option, link to our website and Helpdesk
1.9 Purchasing Add-ons Screen (PRO Only)
- Opens up the add-ons / premium maps menu where you can select whichever add-on you might want to purchase.
1.1a - Screenshot Option
- Tapping this option automatically takes a screenshot and saves it on your device (storage location will be displayed after screen capture)
2 - Places
- Places search Google Places Service to find a place to center the map. You can also enter coordinates here.
3 - Location (requires GPS Connectivity)
The Location button requires GPS connectivity for it to accurately pinpoint your location based on the Global Positioning Satellite.
This option also enables you to record your trips/tracks when enabled.
These are the Options - You can always pause your track recordings whenever you like. When your recording, this icon will appear on your notification bar.
3.1 My Location - Centers on your CURRENT location (*need GPS/Location Service)
3.2 Stop Track Recording
3.3 Pause Track Recording - Pauses your current track being recorded (*please make sure you do not have a battery saver app or the like which would kill an app when it's idle - this might cause recording issues)
3.4 GPS Satellite View - Displays the number of GPS (Satellites) you can get a fix from.
3.5 Share Location - Shares your current location which can be accessed via Google Maps (* please note that we do not use Google Maps as a map source)
4 - Layers (Map Sources)
Tapping on the Layers option will open up this menu where you can view the current map you are using and the option to choose More Map Sources
5 - Trip Database
- Displays the Trip Data options (Currently used, Sharing option, Import option, Create and Load existing trip files, etc) *there is another manual discussing the Trip Database Menu in detail
6 - Context Menu
- Gives the end-user additional menu options
** The context menu ( including settings and other options) can be accessed using your hardware menu button or the overflow beside button #6 - if your device does not have a hardware menu
* Depending on you device, there may be more or less icons that fit on the action bar.
7 - Waypoint Creator
When selected, this will create a new waypoint based on the location of the crosshair , including the coordinates. (Long-pressing an area of the map will also enable waypoint creation; this option needs to be enabled via Display Options)
Waypoints can be given specific names. The waypoint data can also contain the  coordinates,  elevation detail ,  symbol,  a photo of the area,  description and  notes.
When you're done, just click on the disk icon and click SAVE.
8 - Zoom Functions and Zoom Levels
The Zoom Function is divided into 3 properties.
a. Zoom in
b. Zoom out
c. Current Zoom Level (*please note that a new feature implemented called "OVERZOOM" will force zoom a map after Zoom level 16 - this is displayed with a colon beside the zoom number which may result to blurry tiles/images)
- a mini compass can be displayed at the bottom of the screen (*you can disable this via Menu > Settings > Compass and Rotation Options) which when you swipe/pull up will display your current trip's quick stats.